Arrived only a few decades ago in the West, yoga is a millennial art of living straight from India. Beyond asanas (postures), his practice advocates a connection to the body and offers moral commandments to free oneself from earthly suffering. So much for the main lines. Today, yoga is practiced all over the world to find grounding, regulate stress and find meaning in a frenetic daily life. Discipline has multiple benefits on the body, the nervous system, the mind and therefore on our sexuality! In this article, we question the link between yoga and sexuality . How can the practice of this ancestral discipline guide us towards more pleasure?
Yoga and sexuality: a question of energy
In yoga language, the sexual energy is called “kundalini” . It is often depicted as two snakes that wind around the spine passing through the 7 main cakras (or chakras). Generally activated during the sexual act, this powerful vital energy would awaken the consciousness that would reside in the famous third eye . Breathing practices, static and dynamic postures and sometimes songs would improve his circulation. 🕉️
Although kundalini yoga is not about a more fulfilling sex life, both are linked with energy. It is said that when kundalini is blocked, it can cause physical and emotional problems , including low libido.
In reality, any yoga practice promotes a better flow of energy. On the chakra side, we opt for postures that aim to activate Swadhistana alias the sacred chakra linked to the sexual organs. It is the center of creative energy, emotions and our relationship to others. Swadhistana speaks to us of the desire to be, of sensual and sexual pleasure as well as of passion.
So, are you beginning to perceive the link with our sexuality? 😉
Knowing your body is always a good idea
Beyond the idea of vital energy, yoga allows a deep reconnection to the body . As we saw in our article on the link between the breath and the body , this practice allows you to anchor yourself. 🧘
With a healthy dose of awareness, getting your body moving is the key to giving it the attention it deserves. The more we practice, the more we learn to listen to its messages, even the most subtle ones. We explore sensations, limits and often discover new things about ourselves.
Who says discipline in full consciousness says better letting go . If you've been reading our articles for a long time, you know that the ability to relax is an essential element for a fulfilling sex life. You must have already experienced the challenge of taking pleasure when the office, projects or relationships haunt our minds. 🌩️
Regular practice allows you to regain a certain serenity and clarity of mind. It thus impacts the quality of sleep and our level of stress, two factors that influence our level of libido!
3 yoga postures to boost your libido
The cobra 🐍
- Lie on your stomach, keeping your arms at your sides, palms facing down.
- Place your feet together, elbow to the ground and extend them behind you.
- As you inhale, raise your chest and head, keeping your shoulders down and relaxed. Be careful not to break your lower back.
- Your arms can be bent or extended.
- Hold for a few deep breaths, then exhale as you lower your chest and head toward the floor.
- Repeat this posture several times keeping the rhythm of the breath.
In addition to strengthening the often neglected back, the cobra helps strengthen the muscles of the pelvic floor and stimulate blood circulation in this region. Result: stronger and more intense orgasms. 🔥
- Sit on the floor with your legs crossed and your feet on your thighs, your hands resting on your knees.
- Keep your back straight and your shoulders relaxed. £You can visualize a double force starting from your center. On inspiration, a first force enlarges the column while on exhalation the weight of your seat continues to increase.
- If you have trouble crossing your legs, you can also use a cushion or blanket to help you sit up properly.
- Hold this position for several deep breaths.
This posture contributes to the openness and flexibility of the hips . It is ideal for improving comfort during intercourse. 🤍
The boat ⛵
- Sit on the floor, bending your knees and keeping your feet planted on the floor.
- Then raise your legs in front of you and raise your arms parallel to the floor.
- Keep your back straight and your shoulders relaxed.
- Your legs and torso should form a 45 degree angle. The secret to holding this seemingly complex asana is to properly engage the perineum and pelvic floor.
- Hold this position for several breaths.
This posture strengthens the perineum to better feel the penetration of a partner like a vibrator.
As you will have understood, the link between yoga and sexuality does not stop at physical prowess and flexibility . Quite the contrary! It is a practice that allows you to bring awareness to your body and to circulate vital energies . Nothing miraculous, but rather an excellent recipe for having a fulfilling sexuality. To continue on this beautiful momentum of self-care, we invite you to read this article on daily self-care. 😘